Signs and Symptoms of Alcoholism/Addiction
Your Life is Like a Country Song, Only Worse
The rent money has been spent. The power is fixin’ to get cut off. Your hacking cough won’t quit. Only bill collectors call you. Reprimands at work happen almost daily, if you even show up. Your family has stopped talking to you. And you wake up dope sick or hung over, again. Sound familiar? If so, you might have a problem.
Addiction and Alcoholism are the only diseases that we can self-diagnose. The problem is, we have a disease that tells us that we don’t have a disease. The disease is cunning, baffling, powerful and deadly. Most importantly, it is a disease and can and should be treated at a substance abuse facility.
The following are some questions to consider, and that only you can answer:
- Does the thought of running out of drugs or alcohol terrify you?
- Do you drink or drug as soon as you wake up or before you go to bed?
- Do you have to drink or do drugs just to get through the day?
- Do you ever get high or drink alone?
- Have you ever manipulated or lied to a doctor to obtain prescription drugs?
- Have you ever attempted to get drugs or alcohol by illegal means?
- Have you ever taken one drug to overcome the effects of alcohol or another drug?
- Do you use both alcohol and drugs in combination?
- Do you avoid people or places that do not approve of your drinking or drug use?
- Have you ever been arrested as a result of using drugs or drinking (DUIs included)?
- Have you ever lied about what drugs you’ve done or how much you’ve been drinking?
- Do you put the purchase of drugs or alcohol ahead of your financial responsibilities?
- Have you ever tried to stop drinking or control your drug use, only to give in after a short time?
- Have you ever been in a jail, hospital, or drug rehabilitation center because of drinking and drugging?
- Do alcohol or drugs interfere with your sleeping or eating?
- Do you feel it is impossible for you to live without a drink or a drug?
- Do you ever question your own sanity?
- Is your drinking or drug use making life at home unhappy?
- Do you drink or get high before you get to the party, just so you don’t look “that bad?”
- Have you ever thought you couldn’t fit in or have a good time without being drunk or high?
- Have you ever felt defensive, guilty, or ashamed about your drinking or drug use?
- Does the thought of getting caught or found out about your drinking or drug use scare you?
- Do you think a lot about drinking and or drugs?
- Has your health been compromised due to drugs and or alcohol use?
- Have you neglected to go to the dentist or other doctor out of fear of being told you have to stop drinking?
- Have you had irrational or indefinable fears?
- Has drinking and or drugs affected your sexual relationships?
- Have you ever used drugs or drank because of emotional pain or stress?
- Have you ever overdosed on any drugs, or suffered an alcohol-induced blackout or alcohol poisoning?
- Do you continue to drink and use drugs despite negative consequences?
- Do you think you might have a drug or drinking problem?
- Do you envy people who can drink or use drugs without getting in trouble?
- Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink or do drugs?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may have a problem with drugs and or alcohol.
If you put drugs and or alcohol ahead of your family, friends or work you may have a problem.
If you make excuses for your drug or alcohol use, you may have a problem.
Have you run out of excuses? Contact 12 Keys Rehab, immediately, toll free at 866-331-6779. There is no cure, but there is a solution.
(Most of the above questions come from NA and AA literature and have been modified.)