Family Counseling for Substance Abuse
The 12 Keys Rehab treatment team understands clients aren’t alone in needing assistance healing from the damaging effects of substance abuse. Our drug addiction support services include programs for the entire family that mends codependency as well as feelings of guilt and hopelessness. Some families spend years helping an addict recover from abuse – at 12 Keys, our treatment team will lift your burden and help you live a happier, healthier lifestyle.
Your Family Can Heal As Your Loved One Overcomes Addiction
Our family support programs begin with an education on the disease of addiction, the process of substance abuse recoveryand how the addiction and recovery processes affect family relationships. Family members can share the pain they experienced as a result of the dependency in a completely compassionate, supportive and confidential forum. In this way, both family members and clients begin to reengage with one another in a safe and loving environment as they demonstrate mutual understanding. Through supportive family drug and alcohol counseling, our compassionate and qualified staff can help you rebuild a safe, loving and productive relationship with your loved one.
At 12 Keys Rehab, your family member will begin the process of recovery with a safe and thorough medically-assisted detox that will rid his or her body of toxins. Next, we’ll design a customized therapy plan specialized for your loved one’s specific needs using a combination of today’s most progressive science and history’s most effective addiction treatment practices. You’ll engage in productive family therapy sessions where your loved ones can begin to rebuild trust, improve communication and heal the emotional damage caused by addiction. Once intensive therapy is complete, your family will join our large and supportive aftercare community so we can continue to play an active role in the lifelong commitment to sobriety.
The Benefits of Family Involvement
Visiting family in rehab is not only beneficial for showing your support, but there are other benefits to being involved as well, including:
- Encouraging your loved one to continue with the treatment program.
- Providing you and your loved one with an opportunity to learn about addiction and how it affects everyone involved.
- Promotoing open communication between family members to begin rebuilding a healthy family dynamic.
- Giving the 12 Keys Rehab staff an opportunity to gain input from family members, learn about the family dynamics and to observe how your family interacts with each other.
Check out this informative infographic that details the benefits of family support for recovering drug addicts and alcoholics:
The Do’s and Don’ts of Visiting Family in Rehab
The first week of recovery is a critical time for allowing your loved one to concentrate on staying sober with as few outside influences and distractions as possible. Family visits are a great idea and will be encouraged by 12 Keys Rehab when the time is right for both you and your loved one.
Family members are encouraged to participate so their loved ones can share certain feelings and issues in a safe environment that is guided by trained and caring professionals. Family visits during rehab can be uplifting for you and your loved ones. However, there are a few things to keep in mind that will make your rehab visits more pleasant and educational:
- Don’t be sarcastic. This is an emotional time for everyone involved, and making sarcastic comments will not be helpful for you or your loved one’s recovery.
- Don’t bring any outside drama with you during visits. Stress is already high, so any added arguments, gossip and unsavory stressors will only add to your loved one’s anxiety. More anxiety or negative emotions will not help their recovery process.
- Don’t talk about money. Reminding your loved one how much it’s costing for their recovery process will only cause embarrassment and shame, which may trigger a relapse.
- Don’t talk about future plans. During their recovery, your loved one should be focused on living in the moment and making day-to-day achievements.
- Do visit as often as possible. Even if you cannot visit regularly, calling your loved one while they are in recovery lets them know you’re encouraging their recovery.
- Do give your family member praise and encourage them to continue through the recovery process.
- Do be on time for all scheduled visits.
- Do make an effort to meet the staff members. It’s rewarding and educational for family members to meet with the team that has been working with your family member through their recovery process.
We’re Here To Answer Your Questions About Family Rehab
The 12 Keys Rehab staff is uniquely positioned to address your family’s most pressing questions and concerns because many of our counselorsand specialists are recovered alcoholics and addicts themselves. Medical Director Dr. Victor Balta has over 20 years’ experience working in addiction and psychiatric therapy; Clinical Director Loretta Lukic is certified in a diverse array treatments; therapist Kevin Gillen specializes in holistic, spiritual and practical approaches to recovery. Each of our staff members are well qualified and respected among professional peers for success in treating a diverse variety of addictive behaviors – even with those who have tried rehab before.
For many families, 12 Keys Rehab is the starting point for learning about the disease of addiction. Many don’t realize that they themselves may need a safe, confidential forum to discuss their own healing processes. We focus on providing the tools that families and clients need to reengage with each other and their lives for a life-lasting real recovery.
The 12 Keys Rehab
Unlike other rehabilitation centers, our treatment center provides a practical approach to sustaining a life-affirming recovery to substance abuse. It isn’t like going to jail or the hospital. Instead, we offer our clients the opportunity to heal in a well-appointed, relaxed and supportive setting. Cell phones are permitted and so are laptop computers. You can also rest assured that you’ll be able to speak with your loved one, because we believe learning to reengage with life in a safe environment increases the chances of success. During this process, our counselors will teach your loved one the tools and techniques he or she will need to cope with the everyday pressures in the world outside rehab.
At 12 Keys Rehab, everyone in your family can learn how to find a path to freedom from addiction. Contact 12 Keys and discover how we can help your loved one remember how to live a sober, productive and fun lifestyle today.