Choosing the right rehabilitation facility for your addiction treatment is an important decision, and it’s one that will greatly affect your success in your recovery journey. When looking at rehab centers, there are several factors to take into consideration including the program details, the cost of the program, the length of the program and whether that particular center has experience working with clients recovering from your specific substance dependency.
You may be struggling to choose the best addiction treatment location for you. The truth is, there is no blanket answer for everyone in recovery. When it comes time to choose between a rehab center nearby or one far away, it is crucial you take your own personal circumstances into consideration.
Addiction Treatment Far From Home
Many people choose to leave home to get addiction treatment, so if this is an option you’re considering, know that you’re not alone. Choosing addiction treatment far from home may be the best decision for you if:
- There are people in your everyday life who encourage or feed your addiction. Breaking ties with them for a time may be the most beneficial for your recovery. For many addicts — and this might be the case for you — the best thing for recovery is to distance themselves from the habits, locations and relationships that may trigger cravings while they are working to achieve sobriety.
- You need space to heal from old wounds or painful memories that caused or are associated with your substance abuse. An out-of-state rehab center can provide the distance you need.
- You are addicted to a specific substance that requires specialized care during withdrawal and recovery, and there is not a facility near you with the appropriate resources for your care. If this is the case, traveling to receive the support you need may be the best way to be successful in your sobriety.
- You have medical or mental health needs in addition to your addiction treatment. If this is the case, you may need to travel to a specialized rehab center with a holistic or specialized approach to treating addiction and co-morbid conditions. This is especially true with conditions, such as depression or anxiety, which were the original cause or trigger for your substance abuse.
Addiction Treatment Close to Home
For many individuals entering into addiction treatment, remaining near their home is the best choice. When choosing the right treatment center, always carefully consider the various factors that could help or harm your recovery. Seeking addiction treatment close to home may be the best option for you if:
- There are people in your everyday life who will encourage you and provide support during your recovery, and putting distance between you and them could be harmful to your recovery. Staying nearby may provide you with an extra layer of support in addition to the formal treatment program.
- You are a “functional alcoholic or addict,” meaning you may be able to stay closely involved in your career, school or family life while still being successful in treatment.
- You have personal commitments such as work or family life, and leaving the state for treatment may not be an option. Instead, by choosing addiction treatment close to home, you can remain connected to your personal and professional life while getting the treatment you need.
- You have hurt the people you love because of decisions you made while suffering with your addiction. A rehab center close to home may provide the opportunity to participate in family or group therapy. These programs can allow you to heal wounded relationships, which can further support you in your journey to sobriety.
Choosing the location of your rehab center may be the biggest decision you make in your recovery journey. Whether you’re in the area, or living across the country, the first step toward treatment for addiction in any state is to contact 12 Keys. We can help you weigh the pros and cons of choosing addiction treatment close to home or far away.
We’ll help you understand what you can do to reduce addiction effects in your life and your family’s. At our 10-acre waterfront location, 12 Keys helps people from all across the US, and many different countries, live drug-free, happier lives.